Thursday, December 4, 2008

The Ruby Inheritance

Last month Bike Boy went on a holiday to visit his family. While he was away he got back into the BMX world and rode his cousins bike around town for a bit. Bike Boy learnt that a 20 inch BMX frame probably isn't going to do him any favours and thought he'll stick to SSFG roadies.

So it was with great joy that Bike Boy's Grandfather informed him of a little family heirloom collecting dust in his shed, I give you "The Ruby":



It was my Great-Grandfather's track bike. There's a little cycling heritage in Bike Boy's family and it looks like it started here. He didn't actually own a car, just rode his bike everywhere but this was the one he raced on. I missed the pedals and crank as I was stoked about the detail on the frame more than anything but it was a fixed gear bike with a really weird set-up on the sprokets and chain. Traditional bars with little rubber grips right on the end of the bars (my Grandfather was messing around with it so he's turned them over) and a rear brake only.

Anyway this is now Bike Boy's project for the next little bit so stay tuned for updates on the restoration process. I'd love to convert it and ride modern gear but if you look at the front forks you'll see that there's no way you'd get a brake on them. Besides which, my Grandfather told me it's worth more if you keep the original parts on it so I'll settle with being able to ride it a couple of times then put it away in the shed, or hang it from the ceiling in my flat somehow. I've spoken to one of the local bike shops and they've recommended me to http://shifterbikes.com/ to start with (watch the audio when you do get to the site).

Safe riding.

No comments: